On May 3rd, Round Table ‘Freedom of Speech in Ukraine: Current State and Challenges’
On the World Press Freedom Day, celebrated on May 3rd every year, the round table ‘Freedom of Speech in Ukraine: Current State and Challenges’ will be held in Kyiv.
The World Press Freedom Day is designed to remind society of the fact that, in fulfilling their quest, journalists play an important part in affirming freedom of speech and the right to information.
The following will be presented and discussed during the round table:
- analytical materials on the cases of violation of freedom of speech within the framework of the annual research ‘Freedom of Speech Barometer’, carried out by NGO Institute of Mass Information;
- the situation with freedom of speech in occupied territories;
- the Council of Europe Platform for the Protection of Journalism and Safety of Journalists;
- situation with investigation of both particular cases of affected journalists and crimes against journalists in general;
- recommendations of the expert analysis by the Council of Europe of Ukrainian criminal law on security of journalists;
- the rating of the Reporters Without Borders international organization;
- legislative proposals on the protection of the professional activity of journalists.
The round table was organized to enhance the dialogue and interaction between bodies of state power, law enforcement agencies, the civil society, and international organizations on the protection of the professional activities of journalists, ensuring favourable conditions for the journalistic activities, and aligning Ukrainian legislation with the Council of Europe standards.
Organized by: the Ministry of Information Policy of Ukraine, the Information Society Department of the Directorate-General of Human Rights and Rule of Law of the Council of Europe; NGO Institute of Mass Information.
Venue: news agency Ukrinform, 8/16 Bohdana Khmelnytskoho Str, 2nd floor (Teatralna metro station).
When: 9:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. (registration starts at 9:00 a.m.)
You can register for the event by filling in the application form until 6:00 p.m. on 1 May 2018.
Media accreditation: (044) 200 41 23 or [email protected] until 1:00 p.m. on 2 May 2018.
To Articles List