Procedure for the entry of foreign journalists into the Autonomous Republic of Crimea
Foreign journalists may enter or exit Crimea by a passport (ID card) and a special permit.
A "special permit" is a document entitling a foreigner to enter and exit Crime.
A special permit is required for foreigners only. Citizens of Ukraine shall enter Crimea by their passports (ID cards) or other documents as provided for by law.
A special permit is a one-off document, that is, allows entering or exiting Crimea one time only. In order to visit Crimea for the next time, a new special permit must be obtained.
A special permit is valid during a documented period referred to in an application which may not exceed a permitted period of stay of foreigners or stateless persons in Ukraine. It shall account for a period necessary for leaving Ukraine (not less than three working days).
Procedure for obtaining a special permit for entry into and exit from Crimea
1. Receiving the approval of the Ministry of Information Policy
First, a foreigner must enquire with the Ministry of Information Policy with the following documents:
- an application according to established form – it may be filled in beforehand or directly at the Ministry
- the original and a copy of a document verifying a journalist's status or that it belongs to a mass media: an editorial or journalist ID card, a letter from a mass media, an editorial request, other documents issued by a mass media or by a professional or creative union of journalists (the original is returned after being produced)
- the original of a passport (ID card) (returned after being produced)
The responsible employee of the Ministry receives the produced documents and within a few hours issues the Ministry's approval, which is necessary to enquire for a special permit with the State Migration Service of Ukraine.
For your convenience, you may send the electronic copies of the above documents in advance to email@example.com. After this, the Ministry's employee will inform you when the approval of the Ministry is ready. In this case, you will not have to wait for a permit to be ready and receive it immediately.
2. Obtaining a special permit at the State Migration Service of Ukraine
For this purpose, a journalist personally enquires with a territorial body of the State Migration Service of Ukraine or with its subdivision in Novotroitske or Henichesk Raion of Kherson Oblast with the following set of documents:
- a journalist's application
- a passport (ID card) (returned after being produced)
- a document confirming the stay in Ukraine on legal grounds
- a copy of a passport (ID card) page with personal information, with a translation into the Ukrainian language, certified in the established order
- the approval of the Ministry of Information Policy (see stage 1 above)
- three 3.5x4.5 cm photographs
For additional information regarding the procedure please refer to the official website of the State Migration Service of Ukraine.
3. After obtaining a special permit, a foreign journalist is entitled to enter or exit Crimea.
Entry and exit are allowed through the following checkpoints only:
- for road transport – "Kalanchak", "Chaplynka", "Chonhar";
- for railway transport – "Kherson", "Melitopol", "Vadym", "Novooleksiivka".
For additional information regarding the checkpoints please refer to the official website of the State Border Service of Ukraine or the SBS's helpline, (044) 527-63-63.
Entry into and exit from Crimea is allowed only through the abovementioned checkpoints in mainland Ukraine. Entering the Autonomous Republic of Crimea by air or sea transport is the violation of the valid law of Ukraine and may lead to the prohibition to enter Ukraine.
At the checkpoints, the control of the Border Service is carried out. For information regarding its specificity please refer to the official website of the State Border Service of Ukraine.
Legal and regulatory instruments:
Law of Ukraine "On Legal Status of Foreigners and Stateless Persons"
Law of Ukraine "On Securing the Rights and Freedoms of Citizens and the Legal Regime on the Temporarily Occupied Territory of Ukraine"
Procedure of entry into and exit from the temporarily occupied territory of Ukraine
Oleksiy Tarabukin, Head of the Sector of Strategic Communications
Telephone: (044) 256-60-51
Address of the Ministry:
01001, Ukraine, Kyiv, 12/2 Hrushevskoho St.
Entry from Sadova St., Entrance 6.
Pre-registration is necessary by phone number (044)256-60-51 or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.